This is hard. I'm trying to write something on Charlie Cunningham, his current company (Cunningham Bikes,) his involvement with the Cycling industry, Wilderness Trail Bikes (WTB) and it is proving really tough to summarize.
CC is probably one of the foremost innovators and free-thinkers in cycling from the last 30+ years.
His innovations, detailed on his site, are numerous.
- Use of over-sized Alu tubes
- Short wheelbases and far-steeper geometry for MTBs
- Development of roller-cam brakes (again for MTB)
- Aluminum Cam quick-releases.
- 135mm rear spacing for MTBs
- Hubs with cartridge bears for MTBs
- Developed the 'Grease-Guard', for ease of hub servicing
Interview from Rivendell with CC